IUI Treatment – Intra Uterine Insemination
Services / Service Details
What is IUI Treatment?
Intrauterine insemination, also known as donor insemination, is a treatment used to treat infertility. It involves placing male sperm directly inside a woman’s uterus to facilitate fertilisation. This reduces the travel time of the sperm, leading it directly to the egg for transfusion.
The goal of the IUI process is to increase the number of sperms that reach the fallopian tubes thus increasing the chances of fertilisation. Women with severe endometriosis or a history of pelvic adhesions are advised not to undergo this treatment.
Why is IUI performed?
Intrauterine insemination or IUI treatment used by couples with the following condition/s:
- In cases where women are required to use the donor sperm, IUI is the common technique to conceive. The frozen donor sperm specimens are available at certified labs and are defrosted before the IUI procedure.
- For a couple having unexplained infertility, IUI is the primary treatment combined with ovulation-induced medications.
- For couples having infertility caused by endometriosis, to extract good quality eggs, IUI is combined with medications.
What is the procedure of IUI Treatment?
The IUI procedure steps are the following –
- First, semen samples are collected by the Andrologist from the male partner.
- The next step involves washing, processing and concentrating the semen, allowing only the healthiest and mobile sperms to fertilise the eggs.
- To ensure the timing is just right for the IUI procedure, the female partner is monitored by the doctors for signs of ovulation.
- The procedure itself takes a very short amount of time. The semen is inseminated into the fallopian tube to fertilise the eggs.
- Once the procedure is complete, the patient is asked to lie on her back for a while. Thereafter, the patient can go about her normal daily activities.
What Are the Advantages of Intrauterine Insemination?
Intrauterine insemination is a procedure with several advantages such as:
- In some cases, the male sperm has issues such as below-average sperm concentration, irregularity in the size of sperm, weak motility of the sperm or abnormal shape of the sperm. In such cases, IUI can help overcome some of these issues, as the preparation of the sperm helps it to become a highly motile sperm.
- The thickness of the cervical mucus plays a major role in the sperm’s journey. If the mucus is thick it will impede the sperm’s journey causing the sperm to reach the egg. IUI eliminates the journey of the sperm through cervical mucus and directly implants the sperm into the uterus causing the sperm to get fused with the egg.
- Women having difficulty in ovulation can have IUI treatment.
What are the risks involved in an IUI treatment?
Although IUI is a simple and safe procedure with the minimum risk of serious complications, there are certain disadvantages such as:
- There are chances of developing infections because of the procedure.
- There can be a small amount of vaginal bleeding in the process of placing a catheter in the uterus, but that does not imply any risk to the pregnancy.
- IUI can cause multiple pregnancies i.e, twins, triplets or more as it is combined with ovulation-induced medications.
To know more about IUI cost in India or to get an IUI treatment, book an appointment with us.
IUI is a minimal interfering and relatively safe fertility treatment procedure. Some females may experience mild cramps post insemination. There can be chances of ovarian hyperstimulation and multiple pregnancies during the IUI cycle.
The entire IUI treatment process is a painless fertility treatment. Although, some women may suffer from mild cramping which can be the result of ovulation.
Major factors that determine the success of IUI treatment are:
- Age of female
- Using any form of ovarian stimulation
- Cervical Factors
- Fallopian tube anatomy
- Male partner’s sperm quality & number
IUI treatment is quite successful in India. With experienced and qualified experts in some of the best fertility centers like Motherhood Fertility and IVF Centers the success rate of IUI lies between 10-12% in India.
IUI cost in India is available at a reasonable cost. The IUI treatment offered at some of the best fertility centers like Motherhood Fertility and IVF Centers starts from 10000/- INR.
First step towards infertility is correct diagnosis and NOT treatment.