- A semen analysis is often recommended when couples are having problems getting pregnant. The test will help a doctor determine if a man is infertile. The analysis will also help determine if low sperm count or sperm dysfunction is the reason behind infertility.
- The most common test for males is a semen analysis. It helps measure:
Sperm Count: The number of sperm in the sample.
Sperm Motility: The quality of the sperm and the movement of the sperm
Sperm Morphology: helps assess the size and shape of the sperm and determines the percentage of sperm that appear normal.
How to prepare for semen analysis?
- Avoid ejaculation for 24 to 72 hours before the test.
- Avoid alcohol, caffeine, and drugs such as cocaine and marijuana two to five days before the test.
- Stop taking any herbal medications.
- Avoid any hormone medications