Author: Dr. Priyanka Reddy
Qualification: MBBS , MS – OBG , Fellowship in Reproductive Medicine , Fellowship & Diploma In Minimal Access Surgery.
Women in today’s time are opting to have children later in life. The Egg Freezing process is one such option that allows them to delay pregnancy until a later stage.
This procedure is medically referred to as oocyte cryopreservation. Society norms in childbirth are changing over time. However, the biological process of fertility remains the same. Women considering egg freezing procedures should understand that successful pregnancies are comparatively lesser with egg freezing treatment than with fresh eggs. However, frozen eggs come as a ray of hope for future conceiving.
This segment will talk about the procedure, benefits, and side effects of frozen eggs IVF.
- What to expect: As women age, the quality of their eggs tends to decline. There may be chromosomal abnormalities in their eggs, and women will no longer ovulate after menopause. This means that the ovaries will now cease to release eggs. Suppose a woman is thinking of having a child but is unable or not ready to conceive immediately. In that case, a dedicated facility can help her with egg freezing that can be used later. This way, they will get to know every detail about the process and the embryo freezing cost for them to move forward.
- Procedure?: Once the eggs are ripe, the doctors use a needle to insert into the ovarian follicles to retrieve them. The doctor generally uses ultrasound to proceed with the procedure. However, if the eggs aren’t visible during ultrasound imaging, the doctor opts for abdominal surgery to remove them. This invasive approach starts with the doctor making a small incision in the abdomen under sedation and pain medication, followed by inserting a needle for egg extraction. Once the egg is retrieved, freezing needs to be done as soon as possible. However, the eggs are full of water, damaging ice crystals in case freezing occurs immediately. The doctor injects a unique solution into the eggs before freezing them to prevent this situation. Once the woman is ready to use her eggs later in life, she needs to undergo In Vitro Fertilization (IVF). A fertility specialist fertilises the egg in a lab by using sperm from either the partner or donor.
- Benefits Of Egg Freezing process:People would benefit from the egg freezing process in the following situations:
- Women looking to pursue advanced degrees or careers may look to freeze their eggs when they are young to ensure healthy eggs later.
- Women who want to have a child but cannot, without the spouse, freeze their eggs for later use. Women in same-sex relationships who wish to have a baby also benefit from the egg freezing process.
- Chemotherapy, along with other cancer treatments, typically interferes with fertility and at times causes it to end. Women’s ovaries are removed in case of reproductive cancers, and egg freezing helps in this case.
- Many health complications can affect egg quality and fertility, such as endometriosis, where uterine tissue grows outside the womb.
- Side effects: Some women may experience bloating, spotting and cramping after egg retrieval. Other side effects triggered by extra hormones can include:
- Weight gain
- Mood swings
In rare cases, egg stimulation can result in Ovarian Hyperstimulation Syndrome (HSS). The effects of HSS can include significant weight gain (4-5kgs in 10 days), pain and nausea. Other infrequent products include causing blood clots in the legs and breath shortness. Physicians usually advise to go for a natural conception rather than such procedures. However in certain unavoidable circumstances, this procedure provides hope for carrying a baby.
Motherhood Fertility & IVF Center has created a reputation for itself with high success rates for helping couples’ dreams of cradling little ones in their arms. Established and operated by a team of committed and experienced professionals with access to the best of technology, Motherhood Fertility & IVF Center follows stringent protocols to ensure delivery of treatment in a conducive, safe, and supportive environment.
Consult with our leading fertility specialists who are experts in their domain, ably supported by an experienced team of embryologists and clinicians.
happiness with India’s
Trusted Fertility Chain
Need help? Talk to our fertility experts.
Had an IVF Failure? Take a Second Opinion.