Author: Dr. Beena Muktesh
Should IVF be used as first-line treatment or as a last resort?
Is IVF the right choice for you?
Learn about the pros and cons of using IVF as a first-line treatment or as a last resort. Our fertility experts at Motherhood Fertility & IVF Center provide insights and key considerations to help you make an informed decision. Discover the benefits of high success rates, reduced wait times, and potential cost savings, as well as the health risks, and alternative treatments to keep in mind.
In modern times, lifestyle factors such as stress, pollution, and sedentary lifestyles have contributed to a significant increase in infertility cases, leading to an increased demand for fertility treatments. Social and cultural factors that place immense significance on parenthood have increased the demand for IVF.
However, there is still some ambiguity around whether IVF should be used as a first-line treatment or as a last resort. As a leading fertility clinic in India, we at Motherhood Fertility & IVF Center Gurgaon understand the importance of this question and aim to provide you with all the necessary information to help you make an informed decision.
Why IVF Should Be Considered as a First-Choice Fertility Treatment
When considering infertility treatment options, IVF can be a viable and effective first-line treatment in some of the patient. Here are some reasons why:
● High Success Rates:
IVF has consistently high success rates compared to other fertility treatments in indicated patients. IVF offers a higher chance of pregnancy success for couples with severe male infertility, tubal factor infertility, and other fertility-related issues that may not be resolved with simpler treatments.
● No need for another IVF cycle for 2nd child:
Embryos can be cryopreserved for future use if enough embryos are obtained during 1st IVF cycle, increasing the chances of having 2nd child without the need for additional IVF treatments.
● Tailor made treatment for infertile couple. The specialist can create a tailored treatment plan to help address the issue and increase the chances of pregnancy success. Since the infertility problem may be different with different couples – specially with poor ovarian reserve.
● Preimplantation genetic testing: IVF allows for pre-implantation genetic testing (PGT), which can identify any genetic abnormalities in the embryos before they are transferred to the uterus. PGT can increase the chances of a successful pregnancy and reduce the risk of passing on genetic disorders to offspring. So, first line of treatment for repeated missed abortion.
● Time-sensitive fertility issues: For women with time-sensitive fertility issues, such as those undergoing cancer treatment or with low ovarian reserve, IVF can be the most appropriate and effective first-line treatment. For cancer patients’ egg can be stored as cancer treatment destroy eggs.
● Success with frozen embryos: IVF allows for the creation of multiple embryos, some of which can be frozen and stored for future use. This provides more opportunities for successful pregnancy, as frozen embryos often have a higher success rate than fresh embryos in certain cases.
Overall, IVF offers a range of benefits when used as a first-line treatment in certain cases, including higher success rates, reduced wait times, and potential cost savings. At Motherhood Fertility & IVF Center Gurgaon, our best fertility doctor can help you determine if IVF is the right choice for your unique situation.
While IVF can be a highly effective fertility treatment, it may not be the best option for everyone. There are several considerations you should consider before deciding whether IVF should be used as a first-line treatment or as a last resort. Here are some arguments for using IVF as a last resort:
- Unexplained infertility: In some cases, couples may not be able to conceive despite undergoing fertility testing and examinations, which is known as unexplained infertility. IUI and timed intercourse is the first line of treatment. IVF is often used as a treatment option for couples with unexplained infertility, if IUI and timed intercourse doesn’t work.
- Male infertility: In cases where the male partner has infertility issues, such as very low sperm count, poor sperm motility and morphology, IUI should not be the treatment option. In such cases, other treatments such as Iintracytoplasmic Sperm Iinjection (ICSI) which is a part of Assisted Reproductive Technique may be more appropriate.
- Genetic issues: Simply IVF may not be the best option for couples with genetic issues or a family history of genetic disorders. In such cases, preimplantation genetic testing (PGT) may be necessary to ensure that only healthy embryos are transferred during IVF.
Overall health: Couples with pre-existing medical conditions such as heart disease or uncontrolled diabetes may be at a higher risk of complications during IVF. As the medical condition should be addressed before going for IVF.
Key Considerations When Deciding Between IVF as a First-Line Treatment or a Last Resort: Insights from Fertility Experts
- Fertility history: Couples with a history of infertility or have been trying to conceive for an extended period may consider IVF as a first-line treatment, while those who have recently started trying may explore alternative treatments before IVF.
- Age: Women over 35 may consider IVF as a first-line treatment due to declining fertility with age, while younger women may explore alternative treatments.
- Poor grade of sperms, no sperms or morphological abnormal sperms should consider IVF as first line of treatment
- Blocked tube, severe endometriosis, poor sperm should be considered as first line of treatment.
- Young age, good sperm grades, good ovarian reserve may try other options before going for IVF.
In conclusion, the decision to use IVF as a first-line treatment or as a last resort depends on several factors, including the cause and duration of infertility, age, financial status, and personal preferences. At Motherhood Fertility & IVF Center Gurgaon, we understand that every couple’s situation is unique and requires a personalized approach. As the best IVF center in Gurgaon, we work with the best IVF Doctors who can help you evaluate your options and make an informed decision about whether IVF is the right choice for you. We offer the most affordable IVF treatment packages. Contact us today to learn more about our services and schedule a consultation with one of our fertility experts.
happiness with India’s
Trusted Fertility Chain
Need help? Talk to our fertility experts.
Had an IVF Failure? Take a Second Opinion.